With a flaky crust and a melt-in-your-mouth apple filling, this Apple Cardamom Galette has all the delicious fall flavors of a pie with 10x less work!
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (164 g)
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar (7 g)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (5 g)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (113 g)
- 1/4 cup ice water (54 g)
Apple Cardamom Filling:
- 2-3 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar (50 g)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (1 g)
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom (1 g)
- 1 tablespoon honey (19 g)
- 1 egg (50 g)
- 1 tablespoon milk (15 g)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (2 g)
- Make the pastry crust: In a large bowl, mix together the flour, granulated sugar, and salt. Then, use a pastry cutter or a fork to cut in the butter until the butter is about lentil-sized. Add the ice water and stir until the pastry starts to come together, then transfer it to a lightly-floured work surface. Knead the dough gently until the dough comes together, then pat it into a disk. Wrap the dough firmly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Make the apple cardamom filling: While the pie crust is chilling, prepare the filling by mixing the apple slices, light brown sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, and honey in a bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let chill in fridge until the pastry crust is ready.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the chilled dough out into a large circle about 1/8-inch thick. Transfer the dough circle to the prepared baking sheet.
- Arrange the apples on on top of the dough in a decorative design, leaving a 2-inch border all around the edge. Gently fold the pastry up around the edges of the apples, overlapping the dough as necessary.
- Make the egg wash: Whisk together the egg, milk, and salt to make an egg wash. Brush the edge of the crust with the egg wash.
- Bake the galette in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Remove from oven and let cool before serving.
- If you don't have Granny Smith apples on hand, you can use any other apples you prefer! I love to bake with Honeycrisp, Pink Lady, and Braeburn.
- If desired, you can make the pastry crust ahead of time and freeze it for up to two months. Just make sure it's tightly wrapped and that you thaw it completely before using it in the recipe.
Keywords: cardamom apple galette, galette, apple galette