This easy homemade apple crisp is the perfect fall dessert! Top it off with a heaping scoop of vanilla ice cream, or enjoy it as is for breakfast. No judgment here.
- 3 cups (389g) peeled and chopped Granny Smith apples
- 2 teaspoons (5g) cornstarch
- 1/4 cup (50g) light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon (3g) vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons (7g) lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon (5g) water
- 1 cup (105g) old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup (65g) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (65g) light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon (6g) salt
- 1 teaspoon (2g) ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons (85g) unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Lightly spray a 1-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Prepare the apple filling: Place the chopped apples in a medium bowl and sprinkle cornstarch on top, mixing well to coat evenly. Add the light brown sugar, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and water. Mix well and set the bowl aside.
- Make the topping: In a separate bowl, mix together the old-fashioned oats, all-purpose flour, light brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Add in the melted butter and mix well until the entire mixture is evenly moistened and crumbly.
- Assemble the crisp: Pour the apple filling into the prepared baking dish, spreading it so that it evenly coats the bottom of the dish. Crumble the topping on top, spreading it so that it covers the entire apple layer.
- Bake for 35-38 minutes, or until the apple filling starts to bubble up around the edges and the topping is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool before serving. Enjoy with a heaping scoop of vanilla ice cream for maximum satisfaction!
- Stored in an airtight container, this apple crisp will keep fresh for 3-4 days.
- In the past, I have also had success making this recipe in a 9-inch pie pan.
- If you'd like to use an 8 x 8-inch baking dish instead, I would recommend doubling this recipe.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: apple crisp, crisp, crisps and crumbles, fall dessert