Light, buttery, peppermint shortbread cookies topped with a chocolate glaze! Sprinkle some candy canes on top for an added crunch.
Peppermint Shortbread Cookies:
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (60g) powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon (4g) vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (4g) peppermint extract
- 3 tablespoons (45g) milk
- 1 1/2 cups (180g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon (3g) salt
- 1/2 cup (80g) dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 tablespoon (7g) coconut oil
- Candy canes, finely crushed
- Make the peppermint shortbread cookies: In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or a large bowl with a handheld mixer), cream together the softened butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Add in the vanilla extract, peppermint extract, and milk, and mix until combined. Add in the all-purpose flour and salt and mix until the dough just starts to come together.
- Shape the dough into a disk and refrigerate until firm (or at least 30 minutes).
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C). Line a sheet tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- Roll the chilled dough between two sheets of parchment paper to a 3/8-inch thickness. Cut out the cookies using your desired cutter, then transfer them to the prepared baking sheet. You can also re-roll the dough several times to get as many cookies as possible.
- Bake the cookies for 12-18 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned. Let the cookies cool on the tray for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To finish: Combine the dark chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small bowl, then microwave in 30-second increments until fully melted. Dip or decorate the cookies with the chocolate glaze, then sprinkle crushed candy canes on top. Let the chocolate harden before serving.
- Store any leftover cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-5 days. Alternatively, you can freeze the undecorated cookies for up to two months.
- Make sure to let the cookies cool completely before decorating! If they are still warm, the chocolate glaze will just melt off.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 256
- Sugar: 10.2 g
- Sodium: 134.2 mg
- Fat: 14.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 27.6 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 27.7 mg
Keywords: shortbread, shortbread cookies, peppermint, chocolate peppermint shortbread