Perfect for the holidays, these homemade peppermint patties are surprisingly easy to make! They require just a few ingredients and taste even better than the store-bought version.
- 2 cups granulated sugar (400 g)
- 1/2 cup water (128 g)
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup (35 g)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons peppermint extract (18 g)
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet or dark chocolate chips (272 g)
- Line a sheet tray with a silicone baking mat and set aside. In addition, line another sheet tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the granulated sugar, water, and light corn syrup, and stir to make sure everything is well-combined. Cook the mixture over medium-low heat until it reaches 240°F (115°C)—make sure to use a digital thermometer to get an accurate temperature! Once the mixture reaches 240°F, pour it onto the prepared sheet tray.
- Let the mixture sit for at least 5 minutes, then add in the mint extract.
- Using a bench scraper, start pushing the mixture from side to side to cool it off. Be careful because the mixture is very hot at this point! Continue manipulating the sugar mixture until it forms a white-colored, firm dough.
- Pat the dough into it forms a 1/2-inch thick circle. Using a circle cookie cutter, cut out circles and transfer them to the sheet tray with parchment paper. Freeze the circles for at least 20 minutes, or until they are firm and cold to the touch.
- Microwave the chocolate chips in 30-second increments until melted, stirring occasionally.
- Then, dip the frozen circles into the chocolate and set them back on the sheet tray to firm up. Top the peppermint patties with sprinkles or other toppings, if desired. Freeze the dipped peppermint patties for at least 20 minutes, or until the chocolate sets completely.
- As always with hot sugar mixtures, be very, very careful! You can easily burn yourself, so handle the sugar mixture with care. If necessary, let the mixture cool off for longer than 5 minutes before manipulating it with a bench scraper.
Keywords: peppermint patties, homemade, york peppermint patties