Dipped in a rose glaze, these Rose Cardamom Shortbread Cookies are light yet delicious! Sprinkle some rose petalson top to take them to the next level.
Cardamom Shortbread Cookies:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened (113 g)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (60 g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (4 g)
- 3 tablespoons milk (45 g)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (212 g)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (2 g)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom (2 g)
- 1 cup powdered sugar (120 g)
- 2 tablespoons milk (30 g)
- 1/2 teaspoon rose extract (2 g)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (2 g)
- Pinch of salt
- Edible rose petals, for sprinkling (optional)
- Make the cardamom shortbread cookies: In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or a large bowl with a handheld mixer), cream together the softened butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Add in the vanilla extract and milk and mix until combined, scraping well after each addition. Add in the all-purpose flour, salt, and ground cardamom and mix until just combined, scraping well once everything has been incorporated.
- Shape the dough into a disk and refrigerate until firm, or at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C). Line a sheet tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- Roll the chilled dough between two sheets of parchment paper to a 1/2-inch thickness. Cut out the cookies using your desired cutter, then transfer them to the prepared baking sheet. You can also re-roll the dough several times to get as many cookies as possible.
- Bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes, or until the bottoms are lightly browned. Let the cookies cool on the tray for a few minutes before transferring to them a wire rack to cool completely.
- Prepare the rose glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, rose extract, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Once the cookies have cooled, dip half of each one in the rose glaze. Sprinkle rose petals on top if desired, then let the glaze harden before serving.
- Stored in an airtight container, these cookies will usually stay fresh for up to one week.
- The number of cookies this recipe yields will depend on the size of your cookie cutter.
Keywords: shortbread, rose, cardamom, shortbread cookies