Skip the takeout tonight and try making this beef fried rice at home! Ready in less than 20 minutes, it's delicious on its own or served as a side.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1 pound flank steak, cut into bite-sized chunks
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 zucchini, diced
- 4 cups rice, cooked and chilled
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce + more as desired
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 4 tablespoons mirin
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- Cook the steak: Heat 1/2 teaspoon olive oil in a frying pan over high heat. Lightly season the flank steak with salt and pepper, then cook it on medium-high heat until the outside is lightly browned. Keep the steak in the pan for the next step.
- Add in the veggies: Add another 1/2 teaspoon olive oil to the pan, then add in the diced onions, mushrooms, and zucchini. Season with some more salt and pepper, then cook until the vegetables are soft and the meat is cooked all the way through.
- Fried rice time! Reduce the heat down to medium, then add the rice into the pan, followed by the peas, soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, and mirin. Mix thoroughly to combine and cook until all the ingredients are the same temperature.
- Finish it off with the eggs: Next, push the fried rice to one side of the pan to create an empty space for the eggs. Pour the eggs directly into the pan and scramble until they are cooked through. Once fully cooked, mix the eggs in with the rest of the fried rice ingredients. Taste and season with extra soy sauce, salt, and pepper if needed.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate in a sealed container for up to three days.
- Substitutions: If you're not a fan of beef, try swapping in chicken, shrimp, or pork to get a delicious, alternate version of this fried rice. Or leave the meat out altogether for a veggie version!
- Storage: Stored in an airtight container, this fried rice will usually last up to three days.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Sauté
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: fried rice, beef fried rice, how to make fried rice