After you try these brown butter rice krispie treats, you'll never go back to the original recipe again! You only need five ingredients to bring these treats to life, and making brown butter is easier than you might expect.
- 3/4 cup (169.5g) unsalted butter
- 2 bags (20 oz) mini marshmallows
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 9 cups (285g) Rice Krispies or crispy rice cereal
- Generously spray a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray or grease with butter, then set aside.
- Place the butter in a medium-sized pan and heat over medium heat. (Set the butter wrapper aside — we'll use it later!)
- Stir constantly as the butter melts, and as the butter continues to melt, it will start to get foamy. After several minutes, the butter will turn golden brown. This happens pretty quickly, so keep an eye on it! Once the butter is a nice golden brown and smells nutty, take it off the heat and transfer it to a heatproof bowl to stop the cooking process.
- After the brown butter is ready and has cooled slightly, measure out 1/2 cup of it (you can save or discard the rest) and transfer that 1/2 cup of the brown butter to a large pot and stir in the marshmallows until fully melted. Remove the pot from the heat, then whisk in the vanilla extract and salt.
- Working quickly with the pot still off the heat, add in the Rice Krispies and stir well to combine, making sure to scrape the bottom well.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan, then use the butter wrapper to lightly press it down until you have an even layer.
- Let the treats cool for at least an hour before cutting and serving. Enjoy!
- Cover and store leftover treats at room temperature for up to 3 days. When storing, place in layers between sheets of parchment or wax paper.
- Yield: Using a 9 x 13-inch pan, this recipe yields 12 large rice krispie treats, but you can cut them whatever size you'd like.
- Inspiration: Recipe adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cool Time: 60 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Sauté
- Cuisine: American