Topped with a homemade Earl Grey glaze, this loaf cake is one of my favorites! The mix of lemon and Earl Grey works beautifully, and it's delicious served as dessert or even breakfast.
Earl Grey and Lemon Loaf:
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 3 whole eggs (150g)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (80g) sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups (180g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Leaves from 2 Earl Grey tea bags
Earl Grey Glaze:
- 1/2 cup (114g) milk
- 1 Earl Grey tea bag
- 1 1/4 (142g) cups powdered sugar
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a medium-sized loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray, then line the pan with a piece of parchment paper. Align the parchment paper so that it covers the bottom of the pan and extends across the long sides, and leave a little bit on the edges to lift the loaf out later.
- Prepare the Earl Grey and lemon loaf: In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or a large bowl with an electric mixer), beat the unsalted butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Next, add in the eggs one at a time, and scrape the bowl well after each addition. Once homogenous, add in the lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and sour cream, and mix until combined, scraping the bowl at the end. In a separate bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and Earl Grey tea leaves. Add the dry ingredients into the other mixture and mix until just combined, being careful not to overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and level the batter with an offset spatula so that it's even. Bake the loaf cake in the preheated oven for 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the loaf cake cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then lift the cake out of the pan and transfer it to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Prepare the Earl Grey glaze: In a medium saucepan, bring the milk to a boil over medium heat. Then, turn off the heat, add in the Earl Grey tea bag, and let the tea infuse for 10 minutes. Once the 10 minutes are up, remove the tea bag from the milk and set the saucepan aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and 3 tablespoons of the Earl Grey-infused milk. If necessary, add more of the infused milk until you reach a glaze-like consistency.
- Once the cake has completely cooled, drizzle the glaze on top and serve. Enjoy!
- Stored tightly in an airtight container, this cake will stay fresh at room temperature for 3-5 days or up to 2 months in the freezer (unglazed).
- Sour Cream: If you don't have sour cream, greek yogurt works as a great alternative.
- Recipe Update: This recipe was updated in February 2023 to decrease the amount of Earl Grey glaze.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: loaf cake, earl grey, lemon, earl grey loaf cake, cake