Made with just three ingredients, this chocolate banana smoothie is delicious and so easy to make! Enjoy it as a snack or whip it up to serve as a healthy dessert.
Without fail, you can usually find me drinking this chocolate banana smoothie several times a week.
It takes only three ingredients to make, and it tastes just like a chocolate milkshake! What's not to love? To be honest, it feels kind of silly to share such a simple recipe here on the blog, but I have a feeling you'll enjoy it as much as I do.
Let's get to smoothie making!
What You'll Need
Here's a quick overview of some of the ingredients and tools needed to make this chocolate banana smoothie. The full recipe can be found at the bottom of the post!
- Frozen banana - To make this recipe, you'll need about 6 ounces of frozen banana, which usually amounts to 1 or 1 ½ bananas. Once my bananas start to ripen, I like to cut them up and store them in the freezer. That way, they're ready to go for when I want to make a smoothie.
- Milk of your choice - Any kind of milk works great here! I usually use oat milk or almond milk, but I have also had success using whole milk before.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder - You can usually find unsweetened cocoa powder at any grocery store.
- Blender - Pretty much all you need to make this recipe is a good old fashioned blender. I really like using this Ninja professional blender, but any blender should do the trick.
How to Make This Recipe
Here's all you need to do to make this recipe:
- In a blender, combine the frozen banana, milk of your choice, and unsweetened cocoa powder. Blend until thoroughly combined and no chunks of banana remain. If you find the smoothie a bit too thick, you can add in a bit more milk until you reach your desired consistency.
- Pour into a glass and serve as desired. Enjoy!
Tips for Making This Smoothie
Here are a few tips to get a perfect smoothie every time:
- Freeze your bananas ahead of time. By using frozen bananas, you don't have to add any ice when making the smoothie. Once I have ripe bananas, I like to cut them into chunks and store them in the freezer. I always love having bananas in my freezer so that I can make a smoothie whenever the craving hits.
- Use whatever milk you prefer. I personally love to make this smoothie with oat milk or almond milk, but you can use whatever milk you desire. Try out a few different options and see what you like best!
- Add in honey or maple syrup to sweeten the smoothie if desired. I personally find this smoothie sweet enough by itself, but you can absolutely add in a sweetener like honey or maple syrup if you'd like.
Common Questions About This Smoothie
Absolutely! If you're looking to get more protein in your diet, you might enjoy adding protein powder to this smoothie. I'd recommend getting a chocolate protein powder and adding that to this smoothie in place of the unsweetened cocoa powder.
As long as your blender is large enough, you can definitely double this recipe with ease. You might just have to blend everything together a bit longer to make sure no banana chunks remain.
How to Store & Freeze
To store: Cover and store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 1-2 days. However, this smoothie is best enjoyed fresh.
To freeze: I don't recommend freezing this recipe. For best results, prepare the smoothie and follow the storage instructions listed above.
Love this recipe? Please leave a star rating and review in the comments below! And don't forget to subscribe to The Baker's Almanac for even more baking recipes and tips.Print